Friday, August 31, 2012

The choice is yours

As I was getting ready to go to chemo yesterday, I came upon this quote:

"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
-Emerson

I thought, "Wow, I love that sentiment. The idea that each day is a chance to start everything over, and that we have the power to decide if it's going to be a typical, ho-hum day, or if we will choose to elevate it into an extraordinary day. And by "extraordinary", it doesn't have to be flashy, it could be a day of restful, simple, pure happiness."

Then I thought about the fact that I was leaving for chemo in 10 minutes. "But how can I truly apply it to today, of all days? I'm headed to the slaughterhouse. To chemo. Come on. Best day of the year? Bit of a stretch there."

But then I thought about it more. "Sure, it's a suckass day. In some ways. But think about life outside the hospital doors. I have a new, beautiful home. My daughter is in an excellent school. I have a happy, wonderful marriage. I have loads of family and friends to help us with childcare and other things. All my bases are covered. The weather is sunny. And ok, YES, I will be in chemo, true. But, I'm pretty lucky I have access to this amazing doctor and to these medicines that are ultimately making me get better." It's kind of my choice to view chemo and this day as a burden or as an opportunity.

So I headed off to to chemo not with the usual grey-cloud feeling, but instead with this feeling of sun poking through the clouds. There were still clouds. But also the sense of possibility.

And I don't know if it was my improved attitude, or the acupuncture, or both, but today (Friday), as I lie in bed with my chemo infuser pumping poison into me, I don't feel as sick as usual, and I've even been eating today. No barfing at all yet.

Who knows what it is, precisely, that makes a person better? I do know this:  Your state-of-mind and your attitude are hugely important in keeping you well. And you can control that.

4 comments:

  1. Shelly - you are on fire today! Love that you are feeling good despite "The Drip"! Here is another quote in the same sentiment (well sort of):

    “Instead of complaining that the rose bush is full of thorns, be happy the thorn bush has roses.” ~Proverb

    Wise grasshopper said that one.
    Smiles, healing energy and more sunshine to YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this, Dear Shelly. I'm so happy this week's session has been easier on you than most. Happy long weekend to you!

    xoxo,
    Jen(ny)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear you are feeling better this round! And I love the quote you mentioned. Inspiring. xoxo Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to see this and super excited to hear about the new home

    ReplyDelete