Thursday, April 28, 2011

April 29th. An historic day. CELEBRATE!

Tomorrow is Friday, April 29th. At just after midnight, Pacific Time, an event will occur that may or may not be on your radar, though people across the globe should probably be celebrating it.

Pomp! Circumstance! Tradition!

April 29th is Neil's birthday. He will be 38.

I need to point out a few things about my husband, reasons why he should be celebrated. He would certainly never do it himself.


1-Neil is made of steel.

I'm not just referring to physical toughness, though he IS one bad mo-fo. I mean strong and steady in the holistic sense. He passes every stress test he's given, quietly and consistently. Life has certainly thrown him 17 innings of curve balls in the last year, yet he never wavers, never complains--not ever. Just being around him makes you believe you can be that strong, too.


2- Neil lives for the people he loves.

I think there's a profound wisdom in the way he lives. He keeps it honest, simple, real, and light. He doesn't need a lot of "stuff", and there's never a shred of hubris. He's happiest when he's outside, in the mountains, on the beach, or just in our backyard, with his people.


3-Neil is a huge reason I'm alive.

People sometimes tell me I'm strong or brave. I've received a lot of nice accolades for how I've navigated this cancer suckfest. But let me stress something: There is another person who deserves to hear every praise. Neil has also fought this thing every step of the way, right at my side. In the times where I'm scared to the point of insensibilty, Neil is with me in the darkness, listing the reasons I have to be hopeful. Showering me with his belief in my strength, even when I can't see it.

Cheesy phrases like "unsung hero" come to mind, as do cheesy songs, like "Wind Beneath my Wings". But as I said, those are cheesy, and they would dork up my blog, so I won't mention them here.

Instead I'll call him the "Unrecognized Champion", or "The Air Pressure that Keeps My Plane Aloft". It's after 11:30, and my eyes are starting to cross... and I've got to wake up in 90 minutes to watch the pre-wedding coverage...

Happy Birthday, Neil. xo

3 comments:

  1. shelly, you are too sweet! Neil is awesome, and you guys are one of the strongest, sweetest and most easy-going couples on the planet. Happy Birthday Neil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this post, shelly. thanks for giving us a window into the love and delight that is your marriage. you both are SO lucky to have each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all of your comments about Neil. He is amazing! I hope his bday was perfect!

    Cheers,
    Shannon, Todd, Erin and Colin

    ReplyDelete